Breaking News

‘Pathetic’, ‘Tone deaf’: Some Celtic fans lay into club over controversial academy decision

0 0

Celtic continue to generate negative publicity and supporters are frustrated

Photo by Craig Williamson/SNS Group via Getty Images

You don’t have to look far to find a negative Celtic headline at the moment, with the club lurching from one crisis to another.

21 points behind in the Premiership, having exited the Champions League, Europa League and Betfred Cup, they have also been engulfed by problems off the pitch.

Their warm weather training camp in Dubai has generated significant controversy, with many questioning the wisdom of taking the squad and backroom staff on a non-essential journey abroad during a pandemic.

Chief executive Peter Lawwell issued an apology in a video released by Celtic on Wednesday night, but that interview with the club’s in-house channel Celtic TV managed to create more adverse publicity.

Some have queried Lawwell’s suggestion that “This horrific pandemic has affected the whole of society. People here in Scotland, our supporters, our football and our club. Probably our club more than any.”

On Thursday morning it was reported by the Scottish Daily Mail that Celtic have placed their under-18s squad on the Government’s furlough scheme.

In taking up the job retention scheme, 20% of the players’ wages will be covered by the club and the remaining 80% by taxpayers.

In the wake of that Dubai trip, there are many Celtic fans who haven’t taken kindly to the club’s decision.

All Scottish football below Championship level has been suspended due to the new restrictions, but it’s business as usual for Neil Lennon’s men this weekend.

They face Livingston at Celtic Park on Saturday as they aim to make a dent in Rangers’ 21-point lead at the top of the table.

Steven Gerrard’s side are in action the following day against Motherwell at Fir Park.

The post ‘Pathetic’, ‘Tone deaf’: Some Celtic fans lay into club over controversial academy decision appeared first on HITC.

About Post Author

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *